Date: Monday 4 February 2013 - ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Location: Blackpool School Prepared by: Bridget Greet (secretary) Present: Richard Juniper (RJ); Andy Southcott (AS); Bridget Greet (BG); Helen Fox (HF); Mark Gribble (MG); Ruth Fenton (RF); Dave Ellis (DE); Julie Cole (JC); Abi Marshall (AM); Christine Collings (CC);
Item Welcome RJ welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the AGM 2012 were approved. Thanked everyone on committee and helpers for efforts over the last year, which have made it a very profitable year.
Elections Election of Office Bearers The committee for 2012 resigned and the following committee members were re-elected:- Chair – Richard Juniper – nominated by HF and seconded by AS Mark Gribble – nominated by DE and seconded by HF Ruth Fenton – nominated by HF and seconded by DE Dave Ellis – nominated by HF and seconded by AS Abi Marshall – nominated by RJ and seconded by BG Vacant positions were filled: Secretary - Helen Fox – voted by RF seconded by BG Treasurer – Louise Rickhuss – voted by AS and seconded by RJ
New committee members were elected:- Jessica West – nominated by JF and seconded by CC Paul Lambell – nominated by RJ and seconded by DE
RJ proposed that a vice-chairman be appointed. BG confirmed the constitution would have to be changed. New Committee voted to change the Constitution to allow a Vice Chair. MG is proposed new chair and was nominated by RJ and seconded by Paul Lambell.
Reports Treasurer’s Report AS confirmed that the takings for the year were just under £19,000. An overview of the accounts was available for everyone. The highest overheads were for the Country Fayre. Talks have taken place about bringing that back to the school, which will lower the costs. The profit for the year was £7,196, but that does not include the Christmas Card money. At the end of the year, there is a balance of £3,000 in the account. AS itemised profit on Christmas Market - £1,135, Blackpool Games - £823, Bonfire night £1,500, Country Fayre £1,500, Discos £1,600 and 300 Club £262. Money has been spent on the computer suite £4,000 and £250 has been paid to each unit for them to spent on things that they would not otherwise be able to afford. £250 has been paid to the playground staff to replace equipment and additional funds were made available for the leavers day and the Christmas party.
Old Business Communication RJ reported that there have been lots of hits on the website. MG reported that Facebook has 87 likes. This needs to be promoted to increase numbers. RJ has bill for £80 hosting fee for website, to be paid shortly. Gill Vosper confirmed website needs to be linked more closely to school. This is in limbo, as the school needs to make changes with the Federation’s approval, which takes time. HF and MG spoke to new parent at the intake meeting and obtained 30 email addresses. Parent rep for each class has not yet happened.
Events RJ reported the following events over the last year:- 1. Discos – ran 4 times a year. Takings were £600 per disco. A very worthwhile event 2. BGT – 8 families put down their names but it had to be cancelled due to lack of support 3. Sports day – MG reported that he had been keen for the Fun Run to continue and wanted to join in new parents. It was well supported and considered a success. Good for the community as well as the school. MG was congratulated by RJ on the success of this first time event. 4. Bonfire Night – Run by AS who changed things a bit this year. Main changes were presentation re food and drink. The costs for beer and food and entrance fee were increased and as a result, the event made a much greater profit, rather than a loss. Refreshments in the car park with the additional lighting made things much better. AS is standing down but will continue helping behind the scenes. 5. Country Fayre – RJ reported this was a challenge this year. Praise was given to Paul Lambell who gave so much help after the site was water logged. It was a late decision to move the fayre into the school from the field. RJ thanked everyone who turned up early and left families to help out. It was a very good team spirit and a very good profit on the day. This year’s committee have voted that the CF will be held in the school grounds. 6. Christmas market – RJ thanked Sam Tampkins and Ruth Christophers for their help over the years. Sam confirmed she will return for this year’s market. 7. Second hand school uniform – Emma Harris and Liz Spurrell continue to run this and do a fabulous job and thanks were passed on to them. 8. 300 Club – Joy Norgate continues to run this and RJ thanked her for that. She needs to hand over as her children leave the school in September. CC offered to take it over. 9. Christmas cards – RF took the lead and it raised a lot of money. This is going to be traced back from the school to FABS. Comments were made that the cards were out early this year and that the wrapping paper and gift tags were a good idea.
Other business 1. Communication and promoting FABS Further discussions took place about how to improve communication in future. Jess West made suggestions about putting a table in the playground once a month to promote FABS. HF made suggestions about putting a big notice board in the playground with yellow stickers for children and parents to put up ideas about how the money could be spent. DE suggested a mascot which could appear at all events. Jess also suggested a poster competition for children with prizes. Sam Tampins said the atmosphere at the events had been great this year and she and her husband Neil had really enjoyed helping with FABS. RJ is to send a list of events to Gill Vosper to put on the website. 2. Retiring Committee Members It was acknowledged that BG, CC , JC and AS were to resign. AS has been the treasurer and kept everything in order. He will continue to be in the background helping out at the fireworks and other events and is available should anyone have any queries. BG was thanked for putting the Committee on a good legal standing. BG will continue to work behind the scenes in relation to the Christmas market and Trust Funding matters. JC has worked very hard over the year putting in place risk assessments and CC has helped out lots and took the lead on the Easter Eggs which she will do again will take over the 300 club and will continue to help behind the scenes. Presentations were made to AS, BG, CC and JC.
Meeting adjourned 9.30pm
Date of meeting: Monday 8th October 2012 19.30-22.00 Those in attendance: Richard Juniper (RJ); Andy Southcott (AS); Mark Gribble (MG); Dave Ellis (DE); Helen Fox (HF); Gill Vosper (GV) Apologies from: Bridget Greet (BG); Julie Cole (JC); Christine Collings (CC); Abi Coon (AC); Ruth Fenton (RF); Mike Rockey (MR
Old business and previous minutes
a) School Calendar forthcoming events
Disco – date moved to 25th October. Committee to make known their availability to attend. (ALL)
Shopping for disco (JC)
BGT - been postponed due to lack of interest – Only 9 acts, 20 parents. Committee considered possible reasons for the low take-up. HF passed on Jo Smith’s suggestion to combine the event with the Liverton Scout group for a joint venture. MG mentioned the poor marketing that the event received due to the busy calendar schedule. Committee agreed to delay decision regarding whether this event is worth postponing to March until the next committee meeting in order to get full committee opinion. GV suggested the committee pole their friends for popularity towards the idea of the event. (ALL)
b) Xmas cards – in hand with RF
c) Recycling – No longer doing
d) Trust funding/match giving – progressing (BG)
e) Regional PTA meeting - RJ explained the regional PTA meeting is on 17th Oct at Yelverton. RJ to text committee for interest in attending.
f) Blackpool Games - MG confirmed good feedback. MG confirmed he had sent this thanks to all involved. Committee gave their congratulations to Mark for a successful event and agreed that the event should be held at the same time of year and same venue next year.
g) Generic signage HF presented a folder of generic signage that will be added to where required at each event held. Intention is to reach a point when almost all signage (price lists, raffle posters etc) can be reused.
h) Food storage Due to difficulties in securing use of the store cupboard in the small hall, the Committee decided on purchasing more lidded boxes for the container to securely store food items to prevent the food hygiene risk involved in storing food in the container. RJ agreed to purchase 4x clip lidded boxes (food safe) from Trago.
i) Fireworks night – 9th November 17.30 start, 18.30 Bonfire lighting, 19.00 Fireworks AS as the lead HF suggested price needs to increase from 2011. It was agreed to increase price to £2.50 for 16yrs+, £1.50 4yrs-15yrs, under 4 yrs free. MG suggested higher price for sales at the gate on the night to encourage prior sales. This was agreed to be set at £3 adult (16+) and £2 child (over 4).
BBQ – to be on hardstanding of car park MS to secure food and people to help
Glosticks to be sold at stall just inside the entrance gate to capture parents with their children.
Sweets, snacks etc.
Bonfire – Mark Baker has offered to have it/build it in his woodyard. Committee considered issues with the view of it, warmth and health and safety. Decided to keep bonfire on the field but remove turf prior to the event. DE to source turf cutter or plan b of securing sponsorship fromFineTurf, Ashburton. (HF +1 other (?) MR JC)
Date agreed of 17th Nov to clean up and re turf field.
AS to speak with Mark Baker to discuss building of bonfire.
MG to progress promotional poster.
Discussed full face masks and gloves for protection. DE to secure. (DE)
Letter out by Monday 15th, latest. HF to compose and email to GV, MG and AS. AS to approach office to send out. RJ to email HF previous copy. MG to send letterhead image to HF Text reminder sent 22nd Oct Last deadline for pre-event sales agreed 7th Nov. AS to organise sales and ticket allocation. GV to organise press release and website advert. AS to purchase fireworks. Martin Causey to be approached re: Fire safety check.
Bar prices set at: £3 pint; £2 bottled lager/cider; £2 wine; £2 mulled wine; £1 soft drinks. Require purchase of mulled wine sachets to add to existing red wine stock.
Help required: Counter helpers x5 – to arrive at 16.30 Fireworks x4 (AS +?) Glosticks x2 Floating helper x1 (DE)
Text to be sent out to committee to ascertain numbers available to help at event.
RJ suggested bucket raffle - £1 per ticket. £1 into bucket with 50% to winner, 50% to FABS. Committee considering.
HF suggested hamper raffle prize using 2x sweets tins and some current wine stock plus other goods.
j) Mixed Federation PTA – pooling of ideas/events Discussed idea of pooling ideas with other PTAs within Federation. Agreed to look to progress inviting Chudleigh Knighton families to our events such as Bonfire night. Discussed need to speak to Scott Ord. (RJ) HF to discuss with Chudleigh Knighton PTA contact re invitation idea, and possibility of displaying Firework night poster in their school notice board.
k) Xmas market Ruth Christophers and Sam Tampkins have agreed to run this. GV and MG to organise corporate letter.
l) New parents’ meeting Wednesday 10th Oct 14.45-15.30 PTA booklet discussed. Agreed not enough time to personalise but will progress and send out in bookbags to new parents when completed.
GV suggested including a calendar of events and Facebook/website promotion.
Agreed those available will attend new parents’ meeting (15.00) to promote FABS – what we are, what we do/have done/ who we are, FABS website, Facebook, noticeboard.
m) 2013 calendar, Country Fayre arrangements - Agreed need to be placed on agenda for next meeting. (BG)
n) Website link GV and DE expressed concern regarding the delay involved progressing this further. School’s position is their whole website is under review for redesign. GV to speak to Scott Ord again to progress.
o) Country Fayre - Current issues for action – Raffle letters to go out from now. Committee to put forward ideas and inspirations regarding raffle prizes.
p) Any other business MG – expressed need to further promote Facebook page. To speak to Scott Ord regarding Facebook advert on container side. DE – commented on cladding. RJ confirmed no bill has been received to date. HF – reminded committee of our need to consider plans and organisation required for FABS Christmas party (crackers, food bill, panto etc). RJ to speak to CC regarding taking the lead on this if possible.
RJ expressed sincere thanks to the whole committee for all they have done and are doing.
Next meeting agreed: Monday 5th November, Dolphin pub, Bovey, 19.30. Final bonfire arrangements and other business.Request all committee to attend.
Date of Meeting: 30 April 2012 7:30pm-10.30pm Those in attendance: Richard Juniper (RJ); Andy Southcott (AS); Bridget Greet (BG); Dave Ellis (DE); Helen Fox (HF); Ruth Fenton (RF); Mark Gribble (MG); Abi Coon (AC); Christine Collings (CC); Julie Cole (JC); Gill Vosper (GV); Jo Cole (JC); Mike Rockey (MR) Apologies: None
Blackpool’s Got Talent Jo Cole kindly attended the meeting to discuss the BGT event, scheduled for the 13 October. Notification will go to the children just before the end of the summer term and invites to participate will be distributed at the start of the new academic year.
OLD BUSINESS AND PREVIOUS MINUTES
(a) Class Leads CC and AC are sorting out the class leads. A list is to be emailed to the committee. They will get email addresses of those who have volunteered, about 9 so far. (b) Marketing and the website MG and GV have updated the website (c) Bank Statements
AS reported that the Charities Commission website is up to date re accounts. All have been filed via bank statements
(d) COUNTRY FAYRE RJ called another meeting on 9 May to deal solely with CF issues. GV confirmed that there will be a ½ page ad in Bovey Matters. Deadline 18th May, so the meeting on 9th can confirm what will be the headline acts to include in the Bovey Matters ad. The ad is free. (e) Raffle prizes Currently 11 with 7 or 8 other people to contact. Hoped there will be a total of about 16 prizes. HF is to approach Country Life in Exmouth. (f) Tea tent RF has been in touch with Sarah Burgess. She will prepare a list of everything that is needed. They need 6 people at any one time to help. A note will be put on Facebook. (g) BBQ MG says he will take over pasties on his stall. (h) Sponsor a stall It was agreed at the last meeting that companies would be approached to sponsor a stall. However, discussions took place about the number of stalls worth sponsoring, which were only a few. It was agreed that the approaches for advertising would be kept simple by just offering advertising space in the leaflets. (i) Fun Run See below (j) Ads for Country Fayre BG has produced a letter which she will email to the committee, to be handed to or sent to companies who wish to advertise. Advertising costs are: Business card £25, ½ page £50, full page £100. (k) Event Licence AS has this in hand. It appears it will be in the other field from last year and so organisation needs to be in hand re crossing road. RJ to speak to Highways. (l) Meeting for table plan To take place at the meeting on 9 May. (m) Pony Rides HF has booked them. Needs to get their insurance documentation for risk assessment purposes. She will ask them for a raffle prize too. (n) Sarah James - signage Unlikely to attend a meeting, but will have a discussion with RJ re signage. RJ confirmed Highways in Exeter will do advance signage the night before the Fayre. They will put up ‘slow’ signs on Friday pm and collect them on Saturday after event.
AS confirmed he had spoken to DCC who allow signs to be put up anywhere as long as they are not on their land. To be discussed further at 9th May meeting.
(o) Grey Matter donation RJ confirmed that Candice at Grey Matter wants to donate £200 to FABS. GV to liaise with her after introduction by RJ. GV will discuss publicity in paper and will write press release. (p) Leads/help for forthcoming events BG confirmed that she has prepared a letter to parents discussing Gift Aid, Match Giving, request for help etc. She will email it to the committee for comments/amendments and then the classroom reps will be approached to hand them to parents for completion. (q) Disco One coming up on 24 May. AC to arrange a lead. JC to arrange purchases. There were 6 offers of help for each disco from committee members, which should be enough. Other people who cannot make it on time for the disco will arrive to help clear up. It was agreed after discussion that class reps will be approached to see if they will help. (r) Fun Run After discussion it was decided Fun Run would be moved to Sunday 30 September from 12 – 4pm, provisionally at the school. MR and MG to lead this event. MG to talk to cricket ground about using as event location. It was agreed there are issues about using Parke, with the length of the run and the terrain. GV to change website re date. (s) Website This has been updated to GV. The committee are extremely grateful to GV for a fabulous job. (t) FABS purchases to show on website This is an ongoing issue which will be arranged by MG and CC. (u) FABS Facebook Discussed above (v) Year Planner BG has updated this with school dates and emailed it to committee. BG to try to put it into an excel format for publication on the website. NEW MATTERS
(a) Gift Aid BG explained this to the committee. In order to use it, must be registered at HMRC as a charity. BG completing the paperwork. (b) Trustfunding Parent at school is willing to assist in finding a trust to fund FABS purchases, once committee have decided on wish list. (c) MatchGiving BG explained parents who work for companies who participate in MatchGiving must be approached with a view to the CF funding raising. BG explaining companies will match the amount raised on a stall. BG to send out letter to parents. (d) BGT – Jo Cole See above (e) Recycling of clothing RF to update an next meeting (f) PTA UK event 22 May 2012 RJ explaining that Maddie from PTA UK will be attending at the school on 22 May. Anyone unable to attend should email RJ. (RF is away).
AOB (a) Communication RJ wants everyone to make an attempt to respond to emails and to keep in touch with other members of the committee in between meetings. (b) Container The container is to be clad in the next 7-10 days. There will be a notice board of 8 x 4 which FABS will be required to paint. (c) Governors RJ to arrange a meeting with the Chair of Governors and Paul Jones for a wish list. AC confirmed Scott Ord has requested FABS raise money for new computer suite. The consensus of the committee was that this was something the whole school could use and parents would support this purchase. A vote was taken and all were in favour of raising money for computers. CC reported that the Pods are packed every lunchtime and are extremely popular. (d) CF events DE asked who did the bale tossing at the CF and the contact details of Nick will be sent to him. Coconut shire was Hayley Cooper and HF will ask her if she will do it again. (e) FABS letters HF raised the issue that FABs letters are not reaching her through the book bags. Committee will have to consider other possibilities to ensure that all people are receiving the information. (f) FABS T Shirts AS is arranging to get turquoise t-shirts with white writing for committee members to wear at all events. Everyone should email Andy with preferred size for t-shirts
ADJOURNMENT Next meeting will be Wednesday 9 May at 8.00pm in the Star Pub in Liverton.
FABS MEETING MINUTES Date of Meeting: 2 April 2012 7:30pm-10.30pm Those in attendance: Andy Southcott (AS); Bridget Greet (BG); Dave Ellis (DE); Helen Fox (HF); Gill Vosper (GV) (on behalf of Mark Gribble) Apologies: Richard Juniper; Ruth Fenton; Abi Coon; Christine Collings; Mark Gribble; Julie Cole
Item Action by 1. OLD BUSINESS
Class Leads Christine Collings to progress the class leads. CC
School Council Abi Coon to discuss with Scott Ord whether School Council can be involved in raising awareness for FABS. AB.
Marketing and Website In relation to Facebook, Scott Ord does not want big exposure to this. GV explained that an alert is set up to show questionable data. Scott Ord can be reassured as to the control element. Scott needs to be approached to see what the issues are and to see if they can be resolved. GV and MG to discuss with Scott Ord. GV/MG.
Financial Update AS reported £2,000 has been spent on the Pods. £1,000 has been set aside to clad the shed in the car park. FABS received a cheque from the scouts for £300 for the shed. That leaves £3,000 balance for the Country Fayre.
AS has arranged for bank statements to be sent for past years in order that accounts can be prepared and uploaded to the Charities Commission website. Claire Snow will have to have them audited if they are over £25,000. AS. (b) Ongoing Projects
Wooden Pods Nothing has been done about the plaques. It has not yet been decided what they will say. There has been an issue raised about the maintenance of the pods and items purchased by FABS. This needs to be clarified with the school and to be identified as a caretaker issue.
(c) Country Fayre
Craft Tent AS is contacting people about the craft tent. Cost will be £30 per table. AS.
Management of the main ring This will include arranging people, supporting people, checking floats etc. Volunteer required.
Feeding Volunteers It was decided that volunteers will have a voucher to redeem for food and drink. Vouchers will not extend to children of the volunteers. It is envisaged that both parents of the same family will not be working the fayre at the same time, so childcare will not become an issue. BG to prepare vouchers. BG. Raffle Prizes More still needed but needs to be finalised sooner rather than later in order to print the raffle tickets. Anyone with ideas should approach RJ.
Central Ring Scouts may be doing a Field Gun Run. Suggested there could be house teams from school. Jim (Scout Leader) willing to set this up.
Tea Tent Ruth Fenton has offered to set this up. Sarah Burgess may give advice. BG is to help. Other helpers required. Decided there needs to be hot food here too, for those who do not want to queue up for burgers. Possibly pasties. Salads have been served previously. Possibly pasta dishes? RF needs to discuss with Sarah what has happened historically. Also Jo Wills has had involvement in this and may be of help. BG can discuss this with her. RF & BG.
BBQ MG has indicated that he will have 6 people available to work the bbq and he would like 2 volunteers on standby who know how to work the bbqs. He thinks any more will be counter productive. Discussions from those previously at the events said that it is very busy and very profitable and that maybe MG needs to speak with them as he may be underestimating how many he needs. MG.
Sponsor a stall MG had indicated through GV whether he could brand the bbq. Discussions took place about ‘sponsoring a stall’. BG has documentation from the PTA-UK website offering different levels of sponsoring to firms. A vote was taken and 3 all were in favour of sponsor a stall, but for those who are volunteering their time to to the Fayre, the fee should be waived. (AS declared an interest and did not vote).
(d) New Fund raising ideas
Sponsored cycle This is a possibility and AS is looking into it further. 6-8 people. Possible route across Exmoor/Dartmoor using the school mini bus and camping, meeting up with children on last run and them cycling back.
Fun Run Discussions about venue at Parke. Very difficult run and not ideal territory. After some discussions, agreed date set for 17 May 2012. Will tie in as much as possible with Olympics, but have to be careful about not using logo etc. The ‘fun’ element will be fancy dress, with prizes for best dressed and different categories. Already have medals. DE to speak to Mike Rockey to see if he will agree to organise it with MG. Need to get Mike to send a copy of the letter to parents. (Agreed disco would be moved to 30 May as this is the last Thursday of term). £1 to register.
TheGivingMachine BG discussed this further. DE said that it had been raised as a good idea at the PTA-UK meeting. He said it is a good thing to do at Christmas time as peoples mind’s will be more focussed as they shop online for Christmas.
The CookBook Initiative This was discussed again and those who had not previously input into discussions did so. It was thought that it had been done before and not many were sold. Questions over price of Cook Book. Something that may be revisited.
2. NEW BUSINESS General matters:
Photos These will be taken at the next meeting
Sports Coaches MG to discuss at next meeting
Music Coaches General consensus was that this was a good idea. Bottom Shed This will be cleareleared and inventory taken before the next meeting.
PTA-UK meeting DE identified some things that were discussed such as: • risk assessments – must be done for every event otherwise insurance invalidated • cash at the school – better systems need to be set up for storing money until it is banked as this again affects the insurance payout • trustfunding should be looked into –BG has logged FABS in and this is something which can be discussed at next meeting • CAF A/C – need to consider whether the interest rate is better than we are getting on current account • Facebook – we are up and running on this • FABS – our advert through school website should be on the front page – need to speak with Scott Ord • Match Giving – need to approach firms who will double the money taken on a stall – BG has a letter to go to parents which she can produce • Link to Governors – RJ to arrange for them to attend a FABS meeting • T-shirts – to be produced with advertising, in turquoise with white writing – to read FABS committee member – to ensure they can be handed down when members leave. AS to put an order in for medium, large and xlarge, so we have a stock. • Thank you certificates – to all donators of the fayre – BG has the precedent from the PTA-UK website. • Pony Ride poo stake – very popular event! Perhaps link in with the Country Fayre • Gift Aid – BG to write to HMRC to see if we are registered with them as charity • Film night – very popular – HF suggested kids coming along in PJs and with sleeping bags • Auction of promises – could be considered Grey Matter Donation of £200. RJ knows about this and needs to speak to GV about what sort of publicity is needed. RJ.
Country Fayre Matters: Adverts for Country Fayre Programme and flyers need to be prepared within plenty of time. Ads needed for programme. £25 each. AS to prepare a list of people who advertised last year. People then to identify ownership of companies by email to BG. Any companies which have not been identified as being owned will then be approached by letter. AS/BG.
Pricing Agreed pricing will be £2 per adult (over 16); £1 per child (under 2 free)
Event Licence AS to arrange this asap. Risk assessment To be forwarded to JC by BG. BG.
Celebrities MG has arranged for 2 Exeter Chiefs to be at the fayre. Photos with them (donations in a bucket)
Table allocation Meeting needs to be set up to finalise this in due course, so that everyone has a copy.
Leads/help for forthcoming events Volunteers BG to produce a letter asking parents for help. Will involve the class leads to approach parents direct in the mornings with a form asking for help, which they can read on their way out. BG. Disco Lead needed for this event. Fun Run Miie Rockey being approached as possible lead.
FABS purchases on website GV said MG wants to identify the things purchased by FABS on website and put costings on website. CC is to help MG go around school and photograph items. AS says Scott Ord has to be approached about this because he has not been keen. Decided the items can be put on the website, but not handed out to parents without Scott Ord’s permission. MG/CC.
Website GV has rewritten the website and it is with RJ for approval before being uploaded. RJ.
FABS facebook MG keen to recruit more friends. AS said that Scott Ord has issues with this. Someone needs to discuss it with him to find out what the issues are and to see if they can be resolved.
Year planner Year planner prepared by BG has been well received. GV suggests school dates are added. BG said these are already on the School website. GV suggests this planner can be used as an A5 ad – useful reference for parents who can add to it. BG.
Pony Rides at Country Fayre HF proposed pony rides at the CF, which everyone agreed on. She will call them to arrange. Cost agreed to be no more than £1.50 per ride. AS said HF must ascertain how much space they need and get a copy of their public liability insurance. HF.
Signage at Country Fayre GV has been speaking with Sarah Jones who arranges the Craft Fayre and has children at the school. She is willing to speak to FABS about signage, which she does not think is sufficient. FABS would welcome her to the next meeting
4. ADJOURNMENT Agreed next meeting will be Monday 30 April 2012 at 7.30pm at the school.
AGM MEETING MINUTES
Date of Meeting: 5 March 2012 7.00pm-10.30pm
Those in attendance: Richard Juniper (RJ); Bridget Greet (BG); Abi Coon (AC); Christine Collings (CC); Dave Ellis (DE); Julie Cole (JC); Mark Gribble (MG)
Apologies: Andy Southcott; Helen Fox; Ruth Fenton.
Item 1. GENERAL ISSUES
FABS written requests for assistance There were 6 replies received from parents and those were mainly from people who already help. Discussions took place to try to find appropriate ways of encouraging help from parents, which included:- 1. Marketing and the website Much better use to be made of the website to encourage parents to become involved in FABS 2. Class Leads RJ discussed the class leads and it was confirmed that leaders for certain classes are still awaited. MG to put a parent class request on facebook, with an explanation of the role as a person to pass out information to other members in the class.
2. OLD BUSINESS
Past Events (i) School Discos The school discos made £650 profit on the 1st one. The next one is 24 May. (iii) Bad Hair Day Bad Hair Day went down really well. Donations were £202.
Financial update AS was not available to discuss this at the meeting. He will cover it at the next meeting.
Ongoing projects/Events (a) Wooden Pods 3 pods costing £6,500 have been completed. In relation to the other pods, it was agreed that if the committee have a good year, they would be happy to put some money in towards the costs of the pods, but until then, the committee agreed to fund one pod and see how funding raising progresses re funding the other pods.
3. NEW FUND RAISING IDEAS
(a) RECYCLING RJ explained that this involves collecting old clothes, which they get passed to a company who weigh them and pay a price for the weight. RF indicated to RJ that she would take this on and will have to organise the logistics.
(b) EASTER EVENT Agreed there will be a raffle. CC will take responsibility for selling easter egg raffle tickets every morning for a week beginning the 26 March with the draw on 29 March. RJ is to look into buying 3 eggs (large medium and small) for 3 prizes.
(c) QUEEN'S JUBILEE AC reported that following a staff meeting the Parish Council have agreed to donate £300 to the school. Agreed there will be a massive tea party on Friday 25 May.
(d) HAPPY CIRCUS Having looked into this, it was considered to be too much of a financial risk.
(e) BLACKPOOLS GOT TALENT Something which will be progressed in future.
(f) SPONSORED CYCLE ROUTE It was agreed this is something the committee will consider for future.
(g) FUN RUN Pencilled in for Friday 28 September from 3.30pm onwards at the school
(e) TheGivingMachine Something which FABS may sign up for. Every purchase made via TheGivingMachine triggers the retailer to pay donations to FABS. (f) The CookBook Initiative A possible venture for future.
4. ADJOURNMENT Next meeting Monday 2 April 2012 7.30 in The Star.
AGM MEETING MINUTES
Location: Blackpool School 6th Feb 2012 @20.00
Committee Members Present: Andy Southcott (AS), Claire Snow (CS), Richard Juniper (RJ), Abi Coon (AC), Mike Rockey (MR), Helen Fox (HF), Christine Collins (CC) Apologies: Scott Ord (SO), Sarah Burgess (SB), Dave Ellis (DE), Faye Pollard (FP), Ian Cole (IC) Item No., description and action
1 Treasurers Report A copy will be put on the website. AS/RJ
2 Introduction 2.1 RJ summarised the events that were held, what projects FABS have payed for previously, the role of FABS and how FABS would like help.
2.2 General feedback: lack of communication & FABS advertising, ALL parents not getting letters: check school distribution AC parents not being aware of FABS great work AC 2.3 Richard Juniper thanked all fellow committee members and helpers for all the hard work. PMN: THE COMMITTEE ALSO THANK RJ FOR HIS LEADERSHIP, DRIVE AND HARD WORK.
3 Communication 3.1 Mark Gribble and Gill Vosper introduced themselves and briefed everyone about future marketing ideas and actions already taken: Face book Page: everyone to ‘like’ and tell their friends ALL Advertising to go on the FABS container and future events: make people want to help instead of press ganging TBA 3.2 RJ advised that the FABS website was still receiving about 300 hits per week. Hopefully this will increase when Mark and Gill take on the running of it. MG/GV 3.3 Try to introduce FABS at the school induction meetings and make sure FABS has representations at the Unit 1,2 & 3 meetings. RJ 3.4 Have FABS Parent Rep for each class and get more people signed up to help (see list at end of minutes).
4 Events This would be decided at the next committee meeting.
5 Committee Selection 5.1 Resigning
Claire Snow, Scott Ord, Faye Pollard, Mike Rockey, Ian Cole, Sarah Burgess. The above were all thanked for their efforts throughout the year.
5.2 New Committee
The following will stay on from last year’s committee:
Andy Southcott Richard Juniper Christine Collings Dave Ellis
The following were voted and welcomed on to the committee:
Bridget Greet: Prop Claire Snow 2nd Paul Lambel Ruth Fenton: Prop M Rockey 2nd Helen Fox Mark Gribble: Prop Richard Tomlinson 2nd Claire Snow Helen Fox: Prop A Southcott 2nd M Rockey Julie Cole: Prop H Fox 2nd R Juniper Abi Coon : Prop C Snow 2nd R Juniper
The following were voted to their roles:
Richard Juniper (Chairman): Prop M Rockey 2nd J Norgate Andy Southcott (Treasurer): Prop Claire Snow 2nd M Rockey Bridget Greet (Secretary): As above
There was general discussion about the events past and present and a good exchange of ideas.
Date of next meeting:
Monday 5th March Venue and time TBA
FEB MEETING MINUTES 6/2/12 @ 19.00
Location: Blackpool School
Present: Mike Rockey (MR), Christine Collins (CC), Helen Fox (HF), Andy Southcott (AS), AC Abi Coon, Richard Juniper (RJ), Claire Snow (CS) Apologies: Dave Ellis (DE), Scott Ord (SO), Faye Pollard (FP), Sarah Burgess (SB), Ian Cole (IC).
Item No. Description Action 1 FABS FUTURE ideas 1.1 FABS class rep UPDATE: SOME CONTACTS CAME FORWARD AT AGM: REQUIRES FURTHER WORK. ALL
1.2 FABS Info letter to go out in New Year including AGM details. LETTER GONE – ONLY 6 SLIPS RECEIVED BACK 1.3 FABS Info letter to go out in New Year including AGM details. AC
1.4 Suggestion of MINI FABS Committee. Idea to get two pupils from each class. Best ideas will get set amount of money to spend, set aside by FABS, as decided by children. AC to approach SO. AC APPROACHED SO, NEEDS FURTHER DISCUSSION. AC
1.5 FABS boxes cleared from school hall to FABS shed. Thank you to Andy & Wayne.
2 Upcoming Events 2.1 School Disco Dates: Thursday 9th Feb (FOOD AND FLOAT – AS, More helpers required), 26th April, 19th July, 18th October NEW DISCO DATE 24TH MAY TO REPLACE 26TH APRIL ALL
2.2 New Event: Bad Hair Day Fri 23rd March. PROGRESSING WELL
3 Financial Update & Future Spending 3.1 £19,500.00 raised over year, £4500.00 profit. AS to provide full report in AGM. AS
3.2 SO has requested an outside covered play area. FABS voted ‘YES’ to Proceed with ideas. FABS acquired cheaper quote from Hadleys. RJ to confirm with SO and progress. RJ
4 Country Fayre Update 4.1 Vintage Rally, Shirehorses, Dog Agility, Ice Cream, Lemon Jelly, Emmaz Dad, Face Painter all booked or been in the process of being booked.
4.2 Jim Bonnet spoke to AS about Scout Field Gun Competition to take place at fair. It was agreed to ask Jim to proceed. Also suggested the pupils could get involved as part of ‘Its A Knockout’. AS/JB
4.4 Trials Display, Tug Of War, Face Painter also confirmed.
4.5 AC to investigate Pupil ‘Body Language Display’. CC to approach Marina Saldana about dance display. AC/CC
4.6 RJ is waiting for confirmation from Paul Haynes Band and a Female Vocalist. Paul Confirmed. RJ
4.7 Lorry for band/ bands to be booked. AS
4.8 DE to book electrics, toilets, skips (or investigate Cleanaway bins). DE
4.9 Possible idea to get three original Fayre Organisers to open this year’s fayre. AS
4.10 Vallance field confirmed by RJ.
4.11 1st Aid needs booking. ??
4.12 Confirmation of Event License? AS
4.13 RJ raised concerns about excessive, dangerous advertising signs. RJ
4.14 RJ to investigate proper reflective type. £500 per 10. Wood carver to be booked. RJ
4.15 Prizes denoted by Castle Drogo, Ashcombe Activities plus more....
5 A.O.B 5.1 After School club has asked FABS to help tidy garden and move shed. AC to investigate on behalf of school. OUTSTANDING. AC
5.2 Charitable Donation made by Grey Matter – Thankyou – committee to decide on spending. ALL
Date of next meetings: Monday 5th March 2012 Venue to be confirmed. RJ
6th July is our Country Fayre - the biggest fundraising event of the year! Please help we can't do it without you!